Safe Injection Practices
General Patient Safety Information
- Addressing Medication Errors in Hospitals: A Practical Tool Kit www.chcf.org/topics/index.cfm?topic=CL143
Extensive and practical tools to help an institution begin a patient safety program
- Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation www.apsf.org
Many good resources on medication safety in the anesthesia and operating room setting.
- BMJ Quality and Safety Journal qualitysafety.bmj.com/
An online journal from the BMJ publishing group to promote quality in health care systems, covers topics involving patient safety, healthcare error research, and quality improvement. Subscription required to access some resources.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement www.ihi.org
IHI is an organization dedicated to helping healthcare organizations improve patient care. They have a number of resources specifically available to improving medication safety.
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices www.ismp.org
Highlights issues in safe medication use with alerts, newsletters, and current issues. Self-assessment available to evaluate organizational medication safety issues.
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations www.jcaho.org
Notes on National Patient Safety Goals, current news as well as some tools, such as root cause analysis.
- National Coordinating Council for Medication Error Reporting and Prevention www.nccmerp.org
USP and 23 other organizations provide recommendations for patient safety. Reports of medication errors can be made directly on this web page.
- National Council on Patient Information and Education www.talkaboutrx.org
Links to patient flyers on a variety of medication safety topics in English and Spanish.
- National Patient Safety Foundation www.npsf.org
Provides links to flyers, conferences, speakers, and other links to health organizations dedicated to patient safety.
- Pathways for Medication Safety: Assessing Bedside Barcoding Readiness www.ismp.org/selfassessments/PathwaySection3.pdf
Provides full access to tools for assessing ability and actual implementation of bedside barcoding
- Utah Hospital Association FMEA resource page www.utahhospitals.org/education/patient-safety/HAIWG/FMEA_CLABSI.htm
Provides detailed overview of failure mode effect analysis (FMEA) process, including rating scales, a sample analysis, flowcharts, and FMEA worksheets.
- VA National Center for Patient Safety www.patientsafety.va.gov
Great tools for patient safety initiatives such as root cause analysis and patient safety handbook.